Got Ear Wax Build Up or Pain From a Blocked Ear?
Some people have more of a problem with wax build up than others. Excessive or impacted cerumen is present in one in 10 children, one in 20 adults, and more than one third of the geriatric and developmentally delayed populations.1
Why see us?
- Ear wax removal via microsuction is a delicate procedure that requires practical training. All Earworx nurses have completed a nationally accredited Earworx Course in Aural Care and an extensive practical placement in order to learn how to safely perform the microsuction and curettage procedure.
- Ear wax removal is our core business – it is what we do best
- Earworx staff are proudly both St Lukes Health and HCI recognised providers; a health care rebate may be available to you depending on your level of cover. Please contact St Lukes Health or HCI to find out more
Some people are more prone to wax impaction and the causes of ear wax than others. Do you…
- Have narrow, hairy or curvy ear canals
- Wear hearing aids
- Use cotton buds or other objects in the ear
- Have a hereditary disposition to wax build up
- Wear ear plugs or ear bud headphones regularly
- Work in dusty or dirty environments
- Need your ears checked for wax build up prior to a hearing aid test
- Suffer from stress
Symptoms associated with wax impaction can include but are not limited to:
- Hearing loss
- Feeling of fullness
If you fit the criteria above or have any of the associated symptoms you should consider having your ears looked at to exclude wax impaction.
The procedure is suitable for people with:
- Impacted ear wax
- Perforated ear drums
- Problems in the ear canal where syringing is unsuitable
- Hearing aid wearers
- Previous ear surgery
- Narrow ear canals
- Curvy ear canals
- Hairy ear canals
- Skin conditions like dermatitis or psoriasis
1 Schwartz et al 2017, Clinical Practice Guideline (Update): Earwax (Cerumen Impaction), Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Vol 156 (IS) SI-S29.
Please contact your nearest Earworx clinic and our Registered Nurses will answer any questions that you may have (see our Clinic locations tab).