Prior to an appointment at Earworx for removal of ear wax via microsuction and curettage, it is recommended you soften your wax. This facilitates a MUCH quicker appointment and an easier removal of wax.
But what do you use and how do you do this?
Softening drops can be purchased from your local chemist, or you can pick up a complimentary bottle of chemist grade olive oil from the Earworx front desk. If you are purchasing from the chemist, our softener of choice is ‘Ear Clear’. Click here to learn more about softening drops and how they work.
To soften effectively, remember the following:
- Start your softening drops 2-3 days before your Earworx appointment
- Ear drops should be administered laying down on your side. This allows the drops to penetrate the entire wax plug, as opposed to just the bottom of the wax or not at all if you only tilt your head
- Administering right before bed will enable the drops to penetrate into the wax prior to the drops draining out once you are upright again
- It is ok to use some cotton wool in the outer ear after administration to keep the drops inside your ear for longer
- Do not use a cotton bud to administer. Just follow the instructions on the bottle and drip into the ear. You don’t want to push the wax further down!
Your appointment at Earworx runs for 30 minutes but we acknowledge your time is valuable. Softening your wax prior to your appointment will help us to clear your ears and have to back to enjoying your day as quick as possible.
If you would like more information or would like to make an appointment please contact us.